Tuesday, March 29, 2011

An Error, Ughh!!!

Why is it that an error is always found at the end of a project? Why can't it present itself earlier? I'd really like to know the answe to these questions.

For a few days I have been working with very tiny cotton lace and working with a pattern that is new to me. For one thing patterns from the 1950's and 1960's have more procedures than the patterns of today. This makes for very interesting sewing. What I have discovered is that dresses of today are much simpler to construct but no longer have the pretty little details. For instance the lace that is between the yoke and sleeve. What an adorable addition. I have to admit that sewing this tiny bit of lace was challenging yet ti just makes this little dress pop! We don't see that in today's dresses. Ruffles are another thing. There is so much ruffle to make and adding the lace at the hem line is crucial.  Over three yards of lace on an infant dress. Too much you ask? No not all. All this time I've been so very careful to make sure that everything is just right, pressing and serging as I progress. Now one last trip to the ironing board and I'm finished working on this dress.

Now the horror story begins. Pushing back the chair from my sewing machine I lift the dress up to look at it. The hem is perfect, same length all the way around, lace is good the skirt attached at the yoke is good, the lace there is perfect. What the heck! What is going on here? Why is this side of the yoke shorter than that side?? This can't be, it just can't be..... I practically break out in a run to the ironing board, perhaps it is just wrinkled and a little pressing will fix that. In my heart I know this is not the case, but try anyway. No luck, somehow, in the first part of constructing this dress I managed to get off my straight line, worse yet I serged it that way. There is no way to correct this error. The disappointment is palpable, you that sew can feel my pain. What will happen to this little dress you ask. It will hang on a hanger in my sewing room to remind me that I need to check and double check my work. But that seems to be a waste. The error is not that bad, just bad enough not to sell, so most likely I'll add it to the bag that makes it way to Project Hope. Some little baby girl will have a pretty little dress to wear for Easter.  This dress is a special request that means I'd better start sewing!

Remember the cobbler that had shoe fairies? Well where was my sewing fairy?

No comments:

Post a Comment